Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Skinning...

So today I glued on my first skin. Check the photos. Now just a nervous wait to see if it takes.



This shot is a test of the clamps prior to glueing. The skin was trimmed down and small holes drilled on the outside to thread cable ties through to add pulling power onto the skeleton. (see shots below)




After applying glue to all ribs, rails, supports and tail pieces I then flipped the board over and clamped it to the skin. After clamping it up I put a fair bit of weight on it to push the stringer down onto the deck.



After a bit of additional spot glueing and some small running repairs and extra support I'll now sit back with crossed fingers and hope it all holds. I think tomorrow when I take the weight off I'll add a bit more glue along the ribs and stringer to increase the strength of the hold.

1 comment:

  1. brave move duncs..good work mate. i will get the balsa tomorrow and be skinning before weekend...

    ReplyDelete