Sunday, January 3, 2010

Adding a piece of surf history.




Happy New Year.

Did a bit more gluing today and now have put in all the tail supports and finished gluing all ribs to railbands. Caught up with Scott yesterday and discussed our next moves over a couple of cold refreshments. He has cut out one of the skins and I too am close to that stage.

Now that we are dealing with parts of the board that will be visible things become a bit more pressured. I want to add a personalised feature to the board and have been looking at a couple of options. One of them in its early stages is pictured above. In picture 1 there is the nose of the board, the fins and a crusty old sliver of timber. That piece of timber is actually from an old decking board from the house used during the filming of the classic surf film Morning of the Earth. For details of how I happened to acquire some timber from here check out the Baddy Treloar photo at www.freelifecreations.blogspot.com.

Anyway my idea is to inlay a strip of this timber into the deck of the board. Not sure if I've got the skills to do it but I think it is worth having a go.

3 comments:

  1. Fellas - looking great. Like the idea of the old deck from the Morning of the Earth. Top Idea Duncs. I am watching the progress and enjoying it thoroughly, the boards look sick!!!Makes me home sick and gives me incentive to get out of this desert I call home right now and get back surfing more than once a year! Keep up the good work guys!!! DINGO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoked you are keeping an eye on the project mate. Come home soon brutha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good! I think that you have done a great job! FANTASTIC!!!!

    Hardwood Timber Decking

    ReplyDelete