Friday, February 19, 2010

Rail Shaping 101 - The board gets unwrapped

So the true shaping is well and truly underway now. Everyone will have their own technique for this stage. I sstarted using a belt sanded then went back to an orbital, then hand sanding with a block. The rails have come up pretty well so far. With the bending ply any errors in the curve are very noticeable but it also is quite an accurate guide for my curves because of the lines through it as you sand back. Below are a couple of shots of the board now that the protection of the deck has been taken off. Not far to go now.





You may notice on the second shot some glue up near the nose, this is just filling a small gap between the cork and the ply on the rail. It will then be sanded off when it dries. I didn't unwrap the board until I was ready to sand back the last millimeter or so onto the deck. The tape has protected the deck well, however there are a couple of marks that I will have to try and sand out (hopefully only I notice them)

Below are some plan shots of what the rails are meant to look like. I think I'm close but still want to do a bit more handsanding to get them perfect.








Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

  1. Looking good mate. You can use PVA glue and cork snding dust to be a filler if required.

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving those rails. That ply lines looks great. ..might have to slow down though, i havent made start on glueing the cork...more photos please

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Duncan, really looking nice. I have been in touch with Grant and he has kindly sent me some plans for me to start my own fish soon. I have a question for you - what wood have you used for the deck - is it balsa or plywood?

    Thanks

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,
    The skins are 4mm marine plywood. It is easy to work with, strong and you can get some good grain in the pieces if you choose carefully. We also used this for the ribs and skeleton of the board. Let us know if you do a blog, would like to keep an eye on your project too. Hopefully this blog has given you some ideas and tips.
    Cheers
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mike,

    Saw your email to Grant. He's a legend and has been heaps of help. Good luck with your upcoming project. As Scotty says, we used 4mm marine ply for the deck. Although any light timber is fine. I think next time I'd go thinner ply for the underside and perhaps use cedar and paulonia planks on the top. But ply was easy to work with and has the benefit of being one sheet for the entire deck.

    Enjoy the shaping ride.

    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys...

    Nice design...

    You come up with that on your own...???...

    Looks so similar to how I do it...

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul,

    Glad you like the board. The design is Grant Newby's.

    Duncan

    PS: Thanks for the link on your page, hope you are getting a few waves in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The board is looking great, the rails have come out so nice, its great working with Marine Ply, the effects are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Karl, thanks mate. I've still got a way to go but I'm getting there. By the way, I rate the photos on your blog highly, more please

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah cheers Duncan, much appriciated, in the process of getting a site together with my photography, have at last started my wooden board this week..will throw images up very soon! Cheers Karl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Duncs - those rails look bloody beautiful mate. Absolute corka!!! I was wondering how you were going to do the rails, very interesting the layered effect looks amazing. Nice work. Enjoying the visuals, thanks. Din Go

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dunc; the whole thing looks absolutely great. Marine ply certainly seems the go - easily moulded - so 4mm would be max? And it seems to be a great guide for the sanding - the tricky part. Almost there. Look forward to viewing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete